Gender@Work

Character Introduction
Ashutosh: A typical manager
Jafar: Employee
Prerna: Employee

Screenplay (Duration :3 Min)
Scene –I Friday Evening
It is a small cabin, where Ashutosh is sitting at manager’s chair and Jafar sitting opposite to hi, there is also one vacant chair. Ashutosh and Jafar are discussing something. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.
Ashutosh: Yes, Come in.
Prerna: Hello Sir, You called me?                                                               (Prerna entered in the room and stood behind the chair)
Ashutosh: Yes Prerna, First you take a seat. Ok, Actually I wanted to discuss something with you. You have been the best performer from last two years in this project.
Prerna: yes sir (nodding her head)
Ashutosh : And as you know we send our best performers onsite ,and there is an urgent need of someone at onsite for 6 months.
Prerna: Yes Sir (briskly smiling)
Ashutosh: But Prerna would you be comfortable going onsite.(pause) I mean you have got your family here, you need to take care of your children too. Would you be able to go?? (pause)And for one reason or another I would also prefer a male employee to go onsite. I think Jafar would be better option. I want you to think on this opportunity once. Take your time and reply me on Monday.
Prerna’s face got dull and her smiling stretched lips shortened.
Prerna: Ok Sir. (in a very low voice)
Prerna left the room.

Scene –II
Prerna sitting on a chair, she seems to be very disappointed and sad. Jafar rolled his chair near Prerna and started a conversation.
Jafar: Prerna, I also agree with sir, how you would leave your children here for six months and there are lots of problem in foreign countries for Indian females, you will think that I am saying all that because I will get a chance to go there if you will say no. It’s not like that. I am just suggesting you being a colleague and a friend.
Prerna didn’t replied anything, but Jafar started again after a 10 second pause
Jafar:  Career wise, No doubt It’s a great opportunity, But family is I think top priority for a women.
Jafar had just started his next sentence, but Prerna ignored him, she took her handbag and left the place, her face looked like she is going to cry. She seems complaining herself and to her god for making her a women.

Scene-III
Monday Morning
Ashutosh sitting in his cabin and checking his mails. Inbox showed two unread mails of Prerna
Ashutosh: (reading first mail)
Hi Sir,
I need leave for the today as I have some urgent work.
Thanks
Prerna
(After a pause)
Ashutosh: (reading next mail)
Hello Sir,
               With Due respect, I don’t respect you that much anymore. How could you think that an Indian woman is so weak that she could not go to foreign countries and live there on her own? I would like to remind you that even women have gone and returned from space too. So you don’t worry about that. I am on leave today as I need to buy some woolen clothes to stay in onsite. Kindly issue my onsite transfer letter.
Thank you,
Prerna
Ashutosh looked shocked and then he started smiling he called Prerna
Ashutosh: Sorry Prerna.

Scene-IV
Jafar sitting on his chair and reading mail
Jafar: reading mail
Hello Colleague-cum- friend
I thought on your suggestions, but then I realized that you too have got two children, I think you should stay and take care of them and I should go this time. I have got a supportive husband and in-laws they’ll take care of my children.
Thanks,
Prerna
Jafar was shocked and got disappointed after reading the mail and his face became expression less.

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं:

एक टिप्पणी भेजें

अच्छा लगा तो बताओ , नहीं जमा तो भी बता दो यार !